This guidance shows you how to refund a partial invoice payment and leave the invoice as unpaid. This might be used if a cheque bounces, or a customer does a chargeback on their card.
Issuing the Refund
To start, go to Invoices > Select the invoice > Click the Refund button in the Payments section at the bottom.
You then need to click the first option Refund payment(s) in the popup and use the payment details section at the bottom to enter in:
- Date – The date the money left your bank account.
- Refund – This is the amount that you refunded to the customer. By default, this is the full amount of the invoice. Please change the figure by typing the amount you have refunded into the box.
- Account – Using the dropdown, select which account the amount was paid out from.
- Method – Using the dropdown, select which method was used to refund the customer.
- Note – You can use the text box here to type in a reference for the refund; for example, the date you posted the cheque to the customer.
When you’re ready, click the Refund button.
You are then taken back to the original invoice which will now be marked as unpaid. There will also be a partial refund line in the Payments section at the bottom.