You can import your Trail Balance and Nominal Ledger directly into KashFlow by CSV spreadsheet. To do that, click
Settings > Import Data > Import Ledgers
Make sure to follow this article and ensure that all the requirements are met. The figures and dates here can be found in your previous accounting software or from your accountant.
Things to check before starting
- Header – The import will work with or without a header row (a row at the top with the column names). You may also have additional sub-heading rows, if so these should not cause a problem either. If column one (Nominal Code) does not contain a numerical value then that line will be skipped.
- Opening Balances/ Trial Balance – If you are importing a Trial Balance in order to create opening balances then all entries should have the same date for column 3. This will result in a single Journal Entry with that date containing all of the Transactions.
- Nominal Ledger – If you are importing a Nominal Ledger Report then this will result in one Journal Entry for each date found in the file.
- Creation of nominal codes – If the nominal codes you specify do not already exist in this KashFlow account then they will be created for you. If the Nominal Code does exist but it has a different name, then your existing code in KashFlow will be renamed to match the name in your file. These will be created as Bank Codes (Bank Transaction Types) so it is highly recommended that you create the codes first yourself prior to import if this is not desired.
- Debtors and Creditors – KashFlow does not allow posting to the debtors and creditors control accounts, if you try to post there then the figures will automatically be posted to a suspense account numbered 9999.
- Ensuring your files balance – The file should balance (that is, the sum of the credit column should equal the sum of the debit column). If your file does not balance then we will create an additional Journal line posting the difference to the suspense account. The narrative will read “Automatically created balancing entry”
- Reversing this import – If, after importing your file, you find that the data does not appear as you expect then you can easily reverse the importing of the file by simply deleting the journal entries that were created. However, you cannot undo the changes made to the names of Nominal Codes, or the entry of new codes other than by manually editing them.
Your CSV file needs to contain six columns in this order exactly. We recommend you download the template and copy and paste into the appropriate columns.
- Nominal Code – The numeric code for the nominal code (Sales Code, Purchase Code or Bank Code)
- Nominal Name – The name for the nominal code
- Date – The date for the entry as DD/MM/YYYY
- Narrative – A comment for the entry
- Debit – The debit amount
- Credit – The credit amount
To import the file, go to
Settings > Import Data > Import Nominal Ledger > Choose file > Preview Import
You will be taken to a summary screen to review your data before import, to continue just click Import and your data will be added to KashFlow.