Adding a Company – Government Settings Part 3

← Back to Step 2
Next to Step 4 →

Government settings

Each Company in KashFlow Payroll represents a PAYE Scheme and HMRC will have given you some references and numbers to help them identify you in the RTI submissions.

Try and complete as many of these references as you can find;

  • Employer PAYE Reference: You will find this reference on the yellow PAYE Payslip booklet supplied by HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC).
  • Accounts Office Reference: You will find this 13 character reference number on the PAYE payment booklet or letter supplied by HM Revenue & Customs, printed in the format 123PA12345678. References that are not 13 characters long require zeros (0) entering after the two letters to make it up to 13 characters e.g. 123PA00045678
  • Corporation Tax Reference: This reference, also called the Company Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR), is ten digits long and applies to limited companies. You will find this reference on the ‘Notice to deliver a company Tax Return’ (HMRC form CT603).
  • Self Assessment Unique Tax Reference: This reference is ten digits long and usually applies to sole proprietors or partnerships. You will find this reference on a Self Assessment return that you have made to HMRC.
  • Tip: Prior to RTI this reference was written on paper forms in the following format [123 12345 67890 A]. Only the ten numbers in italics, but without the space, are the Tax Reference. The first three numbers represent the tax office and the ‘A’ is a remnant of the CT payment system.

Contracted Out Number

This is required if your company has a certified contracted out pension scheme. All ECONs begin with the letter “E”.

Are you eligible for Small Employers Relief?

An employer qualifies for SER if their Class 1 NICs fall below a certain level in the Tax Year. HMRC or your accountant should be able to tell you if you qualify for Small Employers Relief but after a year of using KashFlow Payroll you will be advised if you qualify automatically. Small Employers Relief means KashFlow Payroll will offset your monthly payments to HMRC with a compensation or recovery amount when you make Statutory Payments such as Statutory Maternity Pay.

Enable Online Filing

Normally you would leave RTI Filing switched on so that KashFlow Payroll makes RTI submissions for you online and on time. There are no buttons to press or procedures to follow; KashFlow Payroll simply files everything required online when it is needed.

An FPS submission is required on or before every Pay Date and KashFlow Payroll will perform these automatically for you when you finish with a Pay Date. You should only disable RTI Filing if you are sure RTI submissions have already been made for the Pay Dates you are closing. Examples of why you could turn RTI Filing off are:

  • A separate system is performing the RTI submissions.
  • Historical data is being entered in to KashFlow Payroll so actual RTI submissions are not required.
  • KashFlow Payroll has already made the RTI submissions because the user has performed the Rollback Action to an earlier Pay Date. A Rollback generally disables RTI Filing and any amendments to the earlier payroll will be reflected in the Year To Date figures of the next normal FPS when RTI Filing is enabled again.
  • If RTI Filing is disabled you must remember to turn it on again when processing the current Pay Date and KashFlow Payroll will remind you to do so.

HMRC Online Filing Credentials

When KashFlow Payroll makes an online RTI submission for you, it needs to login to HMRC with a user name, password and some contact details (your ‘credentials’). If you have ever done any online filing before then you should already have the necessary credentials and should enter them here. If you do not have any credentials, or just don’t feel like typing them in, you can use KashFlow Payroll’s credentials.

See how IRIS KashFlow works with your business and your books